Tuesday, June 5, 2012

(Aquatic) Image and Sound


The article by Chion exposed me to a few really neat concepts that I had never considered before. Synchresis is a concept I have thought about before, but never knew it had such difficult nomenclature. It is when Chion starts talking about the “value added” concept that I really started to get interested. The idea that things about a film feel “naturally” true because of the relationship between image and sound caught my eye, and the example with the three airplanes really helped me understand this concept. It reminded me of the Kuleshov effect because the filmmaker can use this phenomenon to his advantage in several ways, such as using music to accentuate a particular element of the image (e.g., Norman’s cameraless film from the first day).

The first idea in the Acoustic Ecology article that grabbed my attention was the notion that “urban cacophony” has led us to shut out or selectively ignore certain ambient or background noises, and if we just “turn our ears outward” we will notice an entire sound design mixed by Mother Nature. The ending of the article also spoke to me, especially when the author gets into how “moments of sonic, visual, and tactile presence” inspire him “with a more expansive sense of self, one that encompasses the valley as a whole.” It’s like by listening (REALLY listening) to the sounds of the valley, the author experienced something that was far beyond what most humans “get” from nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment